Economic Benefits of West Edmonton Mall ®
THE INCREMENTAL IMPACT TAKES INTO ACCOUNT ONLY EXPENDITURES MADE AND TAXES GENERATED DIRECTLY AS A RESULT OF WEST EDMONTON MALL’S OPERATIONS. IN OTHER WORDS, THESE EXPENDITURES WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN MADE AND THESE TAXES WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN GENERATED IF THE MALL DID NOT EXIST.
KEY FINDINGS, INCREMENTAL IMPACT, 1986 – 2006
- Direct incremental expenditures in Alberta by visitors to West Edmonton Mall® (WEM) were $12.9 billion.
- WEM provided incremental value added (income) of $17.1 billion.
- WEM provided total of 350,000 incremental person years of employment. This involves a sustained employment of 24,000 incremental full-time job equivalents.
- WEM provided incremental labour income of $10.1 billion.
- WEM generated incremental tax collection of $3.5 billion by the federal government.
- WEM generated $1.15 billion in incremental provincial taxes which the Government of Alberta would not have collected if the Mall did not exist.
- WEM generated $470 million in incremental local taxes which the local governments in Alberta would not have collected if the Mall did not exist.
- For every dollar spent in WEM, $1.25 is spent by the same tourists outside the Mall.